Do you have to have auto insurance to have a NC license

Asked over 3 years ago - Charlotte, NC

I want to remove my daughter from my insurance policy and she has failed to get insurance on her own. She does not have a vehicle. Is it a state law that a licensed driver have car insurance?

1. Jennifer H. Seate

Answered . Your daughter can get a non-owner's policy which will cover her when she's driving someone else's vehicle. It's not necessarily required but if she is living in your household and does not have her own policy, your insurance company will require you to list her as a driver. If you do not list her as a driver and she drives one of your vehicles, your insurance company could cancel your policy for fraud or misrepresentation.

Also if your daughter is an accident and does not have insurance, she could have her license suspended.

2. Jeffrey Twersky

Answered . Without knowing the North Carolina requirements, it is generally the law that vehicles must be insured, so your daughter may be able to have a license without insurance, if she does not own a vehicle. You need to ask an attorney, or perhaps the department of licensing in North Carolina if that is the requirement in that state, as I do not practice law there.