Do you have to have an attorney on a ex parte in a unlawful detianer when its a business thats incorporated

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

did ex parte paper work for a cleint going pro per and judge said since the business was a corporation he needed an Attorney to argue the ex parte

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

4

Answered . The judge is right. The defendant also needs an attorney to file a response that is not subject to a motion to strike. I hope you will not be charging your client for worthless work.

2. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . Yes, a corporation can only appear in court through an attorney.

3. David M Blain

2

Answered . A corporation may only appear in court through a licensed attorney.

In the eyes of the law a corporation has all the powers of a natural person in the carrying out of its business. This means the corporation may avail itself of the state's laws and may bring a lawsuit. However, under long-settled common law, a corporation cannot represent itself before courts of record without a lawyer, and it cannot represent itself through an officer, director or any other person who is not also a licensed lawyer. See the case of Caressa Camille, Inc. v. Alcoholic Beverage Control Appeals Bd. (2002) 99 Cal.App.4th 1094, 1101–1103 [121 Cal. Rptr. 2d 758. The same rule applies in Federal Court as well.

The logic behind this rule is that a corporation is an artificial entity created by law and can only act in its affairs through its natural persons, agents and/or representatives. Obviously, any person who would appear in court to act on behalf of the corporation, if not a licensed attorney, would then be practicing law without a license. See the case of Merco Constr. Engineers, Inc. v. Municipal Court (1978) 21 Cal.3d 724, 730 [147 Cal. Rptr. 631, 581 P.2d 636.

Practicing law without a license is a big problem, and I am not aware of any exceptions.