Skip to main content

Do you have to have a lawyer to get DUI 's expunged?

Hutchinson, KS |

Has been over 10 years and have two DUI's and want to get them expunged.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Although I'm not familiar with the KS law pertaining to expungements, my guess is that it is something that can be accomplished without representation. The fact of the matter is, though, as with any matter having to do with a court of law, having an experienced lawyer assisting you is highly recommended. I suggest that you at least talk privately with one or more criminal practitioners in your area. Most will provide a free consultation. Take advantage of that opportunity to gain insights into your circumstance and find out about legal fees. Those fees will vary widely within a community, but you have to consult with an attorney to find out how much she/he will charge; legal fees are not advertised like the cost of a gallon of gasoline--for several good reasons. Doing as I suggest will only cost you some of your time and will be far more productive than doing your own research on the Internet. Good luck.

  2. I agree with the previous answer. If DUI can be expunged in KS then consider yourself lucky. Most jurisdictions do not allow them to be expunged which is the case in TN where I practice. Contact a DUI attorney to get all the details.

    "Nothing in this communication is meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf unless you have have hired me and entered into a written retainer agreement. I am only licensed in Tennessee and I suggest contacting an attorney in your specific city and state as soon as possible to avoid any statute of limitations deadlines, if applicable."

  3. Contact an experienced DWI lawyer in your area. Look to the National College of DUI Defenders for one in your area.
    Austin DWI Lawyer

    My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,

  4. THey should bopth be expungable. Expungement in DUI in Kansas is an absurdly complex issue. For many years it was expungable with a delay of 5 years. Then it was not expungable at all. It is again expungable after a delay of ten years. There has been recent caselaw on the issue. Contact an attorney in the jurisdictions where the DUI's occurred who handles DUI cases.

    Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics