Do you have to have a lawyer to get DUI 's expunged?

Asked over 1 year ago - Hutchinson, KS

Has been over 10 years and have two DUI's and want to get them expunged.

1. Patrick Michael Lewis

Pro

1

Answered . THey should bopth be expungable. Expungement in DUI in Kansas is an absurdly complex issue. For many years it was expungable with a delay of 5 years. Then it was not expungable at all. It is again expungable after a delay of ten years. There has been recent caselaw on the issue. Contact an attorney in the jurisdictions where the DUI's occurred who handles DUI cases.

2. William Kevin Hodges

2

Answered . I agree with the previous answer. If DUI can be expunged in KS then consider yourself lucky. Most jurisdictions do not allow them to be expunged which is the case in TN where I practice. Contact a DUI attorney to get all the details.

3. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

Answered . Although I'm not familiar with the KS law pertaining to expungements, my guess is that it is something that can be accomplished without representation. The fact of the matter is, though, as with any matter having to do with a court of law, having an experienced lawyer assisting you is highly recommended. I suggest that you at least talk privately with one or more criminal practitioners in your area. Most will provide a free consultation. Take advantage of that opportunity to gain insights into your circumstance and find out about legal fees. Those fees will vary widely within a community, but you have to consult with an attorney to find out how much she/he will charge; legal fees are not advertised like the cost of a gallon of gasoline--for several good reasons. Doing as I suggest will only cost you some of your time and will be far more productive than doing your own research on the Internet. Good luck.

4. Richard Timothy Jones

Answered . Contact an experienced DWI lawyer in your area. Look to the National College of DUI Defenders for one in your area.
    Austin DWI Lawyer
    www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
    512-495-1813