Do you have to give notice when paying rent month-to-month?

Ellicott City, MD |

Hello,

I just moved to a new apartment. At my previous place I was paying $1200 month-to-month. When I moved out, I did not give any notice, I simply moved out on December 2nd and dropped the keys off with a note saying I had moved out. I just received an email from my former landlord saying that because I did not give them notice, they are charging me some form of early move out penalty and, deducting my security deposit from it, I owe them a little over $700. My question is: Is this legal? I realize I moved on short notice, but, I wasn't under a lease when I was paying month-to-month.

1. Yes, you were under a lease agreement and yes, you are required to give written notice.

In most states 30 days. In some states less. As I recall MD is 30 days (two months in Montgomery County and Baltimore City).

That said, I am not MD attorney, you should contact a MD attorney to review your rights or liabilities.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

2. You were required to give notice. Check your lease for the length of the notice required (i.e. 30 days; 60 days). Not only were you required to give notice, it was likely that it had to be delivered before the first of the month.

This should not be construed as formal legal advice or the offer of the formation of an attorney/client relationship. There is no substitute for taking the time to consult directly with an attorney regarding your specific legal needs and issues.