Do you have to give notice when paying rent month-to-month?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ellicott City, MD

Hello,

I just moved to a new apartment. At my previous place I was paying $1200 month-to-month. When I moved out, I did not give any notice, I simply moved out on December 2nd and dropped the keys off with a note saying I had moved out. I just received an email from my former landlord saying that because I did not give them notice, they are charging me some form of early move out penalty and, deducting my security deposit from it, I owe them a little over $700. My question is: Is this legal? I realize I moved on short notice, but, I wasn't under a lease when I was paying month-to-month.

1. Debra Sue Friedman

Answered . You were required to give notice. Check your lease for the length of the notice required (i.e. 30 days; 60 days). Not only were you required to give notice, it was likely that it had to be delivered before the first of the month.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Yes, you were under a lease agreement and yes, you are required to give written notice.

In most states 30 days. In some states less. As I recall MD is 30 days (two months in Montgomery County and Baltimore City).

That said, I am not MD attorney, you should contact a MD attorney to review your rights or liabilities.