Do you have to give notice when paying rent month-to-month?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ellicott City, MD


I just moved to a new apartment. At my previous place I was paying $1200 month-to-month. When I moved out, I did not give any notice, I simply moved out on December 2nd and dropped the keys off with a note saying I had moved out. I just received an email from my former landlord saying that because I did not give them notice, they are charging me some form of early move out penalty and, deducting my security deposit from it, I owe them a little over $700. My question is: Is this legal? I realize I moved on short notice, but, I wasn't under a lease when I was paying month-to-month.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Debra Sue Friedman

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You were required to give notice. Check your lease for the length of the notice required (i.e. 30 days; 60 days). Not only were you required to give notice, it was likely that it had to be delivered before the first of the month.

    This should not be construed as formal legal advice or the offer of the formation of an attorney/client... more
  2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes, you were under a lease agreement and yes, you are required to give written notice.

    In most states 30 days. In some states less. As I recall MD is 30 days (two months in Montgomery County and Baltimore City).

    That said, I am not MD attorney, you should contact a MD attorney to review your rights or liabilities.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,856 answers this week

2,839 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,856 answers this week

2,839 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary