Do you have to give back an engagement ring?

Asked over 1 year ago - Boise, ID

My now ex fiance broke off our engagement about a month ago and he wants my ring back now. He proposed on Valentines Day.

1. Paula Brown Sinclair

7

Answered . As a general rule, an engagement ring is a "gift in contemplation of marriage" complete when the marriage occurs. Until then the gift is sort of "voidable." Be aware that Idaho does not have any statutory or case law specific to this question, but there is no reason to believe that Idaho courts would not hold similarly to the rule followed in nearly every other jurisdiction. Returning the ring is the honorable choice. Refusing to return it may only prove to him that you are not the person he deserves.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . Yes

3. John Robert Kormanik

4

Answered . Court's typically view engagement rings as "gifts" and, therefore, not subject to return if the engagement is broken off.

I guess the real question is...why do you want the ring if he broke off your engagement?

4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

3

Answered . Yes.