Do you have to give back an engagement ring?

Boise, ID |

My now ex fiance broke off our engagement about a month ago and he wants my ring back now. He proposed on Valentines Day.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Court's typically view engagement rings as "gifts" and, therefore, not subject to return if the engagement is broken off.

I guess the real question is...why do you want the ring if he broke off your engagement?

No attorney-client relationship is created by responding to any question on Avvo. Further, nothing contained in any response may be relied upon as legal advice.

As a general rule, an engagement ring is a "gift in contemplation of marriage" complete when the marriage occurs. Until then the gift is sort of "voidable." Be aware that Idaho does not have any statutory or case law specific to this question, but there is no reason to believe that Idaho courts would not hold similarly to the rule followed in nearly every other jurisdiction. Returning the ring is the honorable choice. Refusing to return it may only prove to him that you are not the person he deserves.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.