Do you have to get a divorce in the same county where you were married?

Asked about 6 years ago - Chicago, IL

My spouse and I plan to get an uncontested divorce. However, we're not sure if we need to go back to the county we got married in in order to get divorced. Any advice?

1. Donald Erwin Ray

Pro

Answered . No. You can get a divorce in any county in Illinois. If a battle of counties becomes an issue, the county that will likely control is where the marital residence is and/or where the children reside.

2. Kathryn L. Harry

Answered . In Illinois, the venue (location) of the court is typically determined by the county in which you or your spouse reside. You should be able to get a divorce in your current county.