Skip to main content

Do you have to file for a divorce in the state that you got married in?

Powhatan Point, OH |
Filed under: Divorce

myself and my husband are seperated and have been for a year and I live in ohio and he moved to california do i have to file for the divorce because he moved out of the state that we got married in

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You do not have to file for divorce, but if you want a divorce you can file in Ohio. If he will cooperate with the process and if the two of you are in agreement on all issues, then the two of you can pick whichever state is the easier state in which to complete your divorce. It is unclear from your post whether you have children and/or property and/or debt issues. These factors may affect the answer to your question.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer