Do you have to be broke to get a court appointed attorney?

Lawrence, KS |

Was unfairly convicted of disorderly conduct and doing a municipal appeal. Do i have to be broke in order to get a court appointed attorney? I have a little money....but cant afford an attorney....whats the guidelines that would allow me a court appointed attorney. Do you have to be broke? I have 5k in my checking account...

1. Yes

With $5K you likely will need to pay for counsel.

2. Full out the paper work at your county court and find out!

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.