Do you have to be a lawyer to assist someone with 1 - 601a or I - 130 Forms ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Anaheim, CA

On the bottom of the forms listed above it says name of the person preparing the petition if other than the petitioner? Can any 1 do this or is there a licensing requirement like a document preparer?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

9

2

Answered . There is no such requirement. It would, however be foolish to submit an I-602 Waiver without the assistance of a lawyer. Getting such a waiver approved is no simple task and there is simply no way one can use "self-help" and be capable of preparing an "approvable" waiver package on his/her own.

2. Morgan Laine Place

9

Answered . You don't have to be a lawyer to prepare these documents, but having a non-lawyer help you do so can be dangerous.

There is no accountability or ethical obligation and often no assurance the work is even being done- let alone being done correctly. These waivers are difficult, so the assistance you seek should be from a trusted professional.

Also, there are many scams involving non-lawyers providing "legal assistance" for excessive fees and with horrible results, check out the USCIS website for more information about scams.

3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

7

Answered . There is no requirement but I would NEVER suggest one attempt to prepare and submit an I601 without the help of an attorney.

4. Christy Han Mohan

Pro

7

Answered . There is no "licensing requirement", but you should consult with and hire an attorney to assist you with the I-601a waiver, which can be complicated.

Christy Han Mohan, A Law Corporation
    Immigration Attorney
    19800 MacArthur Blvd., Suite 1000, Irvine, CA 92612
    Phone: 949.222.5900 | Fax: 888.488.6431
    Email: christy@chmlegal.com
    Website: http://www.chmlegal.com

5. C. C. Abbott

3

Answered . The easiest way to explain the UPL issue is to say that anything more than acting as a typist writing in whatever the person states can be considered unauthorized practice of law. We get over 1/3 of UPL claims from individuals who were not BIA approved repesentatives or attorneys assisting aliens. UPL can result in criminal and or civil sanctions and now USCIS is assisting state ulp committees to go after those who commit UPL.