Do you have damages if your lose no money, perform any act, in reliance on a statement that moves you to enter into a contract?

Asked 6 months ago - San Diego, CA

If I tell you 'A' is available and you enter into a contract with me to get you 'A' and I learn later 'A' is no longer available and inform you of this and you terminate the contract, have you really suffered any damages? At the time the statement I believed it to be true. Am I at all liable for your disappointment.

1. Lubna Khan Jahangiri

3

Answered . Michael Doland has provided an insightful analysis. Once you and your buyer have signed a contract under which you are to provide him A at a certain price, it becomes binding on you. If A is no longer available to you, you are still bound by the contract, unless the contract specifically states that you will provide him with A only if A is available to you. Otherwise, the buyer may get A from another source or "cover," because he may need A for his buyer and if he pays more than the price you offered him, he may sue you for the difference, as Mr. Doland suggested. If your buyer gets A from somewhere else for a cheaper price, then you are off the hook, unless there are delay damages. Your scenario leaves room for numerous possibilities.

2. Dana Howard Shultz

2

Answered . Based on the limited facts you have provided, I see no damages.

The law typically does not provide compensation for disappointment.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Michael Charles Doland

2

Answered . I think Mr. Shultz and I evaluate the vague facts differently. The reason is no one makes a contract to obtain something without discussing price.

If I advise you that A oil is available at $10 a barrel and you enter in a contract to get you oil at $10 a barrel and A oil is no longer at $10, then I have a right to go into the market (under the UCC) and "cover" at the market price. Then I sue you for the difference between the market price and $10.