Do you have a right to see the brief your lawyer will be submitting to0 the mediator before the start of mediation?

Sacramento, CA |
Filed under: Litigation

I haven't seen my attorney's mediation brief or know as yet what will be in it. Do I have a right to see my attorney's brief before mediation?

My mediation begins on Wednesday 12/19

You should make certain that your attorney actually realizes that this is important to you. You might be surprised at how many clients do not read the materials submitted on their behalf by their counsel. You need to make sure that your lawyer understands your expectations regarding this aspect of the representation. One of the biggest complaints that clients have about lawyers is lack of communication. Having been in both the client and the lawyer role, I have to say that clients also bear some responsibility because they do not always make it clear how much communication they expect. Don't ask us on AVVO. Call your lawyer and talk about this. I'm sure it can be fixed.

This is a brief that your attorney is submitting on your behalf, right? You not only have a right to see it, you have a right to change what it says. I have been both a client and outside counsel and I have never had anything filed without the client's prior review and approval.

Absolutely. But you should tell your Lawyer that this is important to you, and for him to allow you to review it before he submits it

Kazerouni Law Group, APC is a law firm concentrating its efforts in the area of consumer law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692 et seq. (“FDCPA”), and California's Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, California Civil Code §§ 1788-1788.32 ("Rosenthal Act"). Our lawyers are specially trained in the Federal FDCPA, Consumer Defense, and other consumer related matters. Our goal is to protect you against unfair, deceptive and abusive debt collection practices. Creditors, professional debt collectors, and attorneys who violate the law are subject to paying damages, statutory penalties, and the consumer's attorneys fees and costs. If you feel you have been abused, deceived or treated unfairly, you may need a lawyer. We can be reached at 800-400-6808, or through one of the evaluation forms on this or at our own website at www.kazlg.com. The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or as forming an attorney-client relationship. No attorney-client relationship between the reader and Abbas Kazerounian has been formed. If you are in the State of California and would be interested in a formal free consultation either visit Kazerouni Law Group, APC website at www.kazlg.com or call me toll free at 800-400-6808.

Of course. Call and ask your attorney for a copy. I am surprised it was not voluntarily forwarded to you for review prior to filing.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

If you want to see it before he submits the brief for your input, let your attorney know. Most attorneys have enough information to prepare the brief without input from the client.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as”AVVO.com are not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Excuse my sarcasm or tone, but I really want to make this point clearly: If this is YOUR attorney, then whatever happens concerning your case in his or her possession ought to be open to you. Just a kind and considerate request, via phone, email or short note that you fax saying "Before you send over the brief for our upcoming mediation, please let me take a look at it. I'd like to see it before you send it over. Thanks." And, if it has already been sent, "Hey, [attorney name], please send me a copy of the brief you submitted for the mediation and, while at it, please also get me a copy of the brief the other side submitted. Thanks. " Add something nice and complimentary if you wish, but remember YOU are the client; the attorney works for you.

Yes... There should be no reason why your attorney would not share this with you.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship between Jassim & Associates or any of its attorneys. We are not your attorney unless we both sign a written contract that describes our relationship and terms, the scope of our representation, and terms of payment for representation. Any information provided to you here should not be construed as legal advice, and an in detail review of the facts of your matter would likely affect any information provided. There could be deadlines to act in any case, after which your legal rights could be lost forever. You should contact an attorney licensed in your state immediately to be sure your rights are protected.

Litigation topics