Do you have 3 business days to cancel any business deal? I want to cancel a Life Trust before it's processed.

Brooklyn, NY |

Mom and I signed papers that we would like to review last night. We were not given a copy. I called the RE lawyer and he said he would make me a copy so I went in the afternoon and was told that he was in closing and my papers we in his briefcase to come back. He is a neighborhood lawyer with a real estate office. I would like to review what we signed? What should I do to read those papers. He came to the house because mom does not walk. There were alot of papers, approx. 6. I signed Grantee and she was Grantor. One she was Seller, I was Buyer. Does this seem correct for a Life Trust. I looked him up but don''t find anything with misconduct. What can I do? I want a copy. Don't I have a right?

1. I cannot tell from what you described what you and your mother signed, and I am not sure what you mean by a "Life Trust". However, there is no question that you have a right to see copies of the papers you signed. Call the lawyer's office and request that copies of the documents be sent to you by email within 24 hours.

2. There is no base-line '3 day rule' but you do have a right to receive copies of the documents. I'm not sure what the lawyer had you signed and simply not having the documents ready for you to review is not misconduct. If you don't feel right about him/her then I'd suggest getting a new one.

Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org This posting is provided for "informational purposes" only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principals discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different States.

3. I agree that there is no baseline 3 day rule. I would have to review the contract and go from there.

Small business topics