Skip to main content

Do you go straight to jail after sentencing? or do they give u a date to turn yourself in?

Pasadena, CA |

I got 30 days for a dui charge.

Attorney Answers 3


I would contact an attorney directly in your state who would be able to better answer that question. In my state (Pennsylvania) often a Judge will delay the report date for a week or two after sentencing. Every Judge has their own way of handeling things so the best thing to do is to contact an attorney in your area who knows the system.

Mark as helpful


You will be taken into custody upon sentencing unless the judge indicates something different. Typically, you're given a report date to turn yourself in, but you have to request it. That can be anything from a few days to a month, depending on the facts and the judge.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

Mark as helpful


Usually, yes.
However, your attorney can request a future "date of surrender"; most cts allow a month.
Also, if you're doing private jail, judge will usually give you time to complete that and return flor a later proof if completion date.

Attorney Sharen H. Ghatan has been licensed to practice since 2001. She practices criminal defense and personal injury in Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura and San Bernardino counties. For a free legal consulation, please call toll-free 888-926-3720. **Please be advised: the information presented in the above forum is not intended, nor should it be construed , as any form of legal advice for any specific matter. In addition, there is no attorney-client relationship created as a result of a posted response to a query.**

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics