Do you go straight to jail after sentencing? or do they give u a date to turn yourself in?

Asked over 2 years ago - Pasadena, CA

I got 30 days for a dui charge.

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

Answered . You will be taken into custody upon sentencing unless the judge indicates something different. Typically, you're given a report date to turn yourself in, but you have to request it. That can be anything from a few days to a month, depending on the facts and the judge.

2. Sharen Heshy Ghatan

Pro

Answered . Usually, yes.
    However, your attorney can request a future "date of surrender"; most cts allow a month.
    Also, if you're doing private jail, judge will usually give you time to complete that and return flor a later proof if completion date.

3. Zachary Cooper

Answered . I would contact an attorney directly in your state who would be able to better answer that question. In my state (Pennsylvania) often a Judge will delay the report date for a week or two after sentencing. Every Judge has their own way of handeling things so the best thing to do is to contact an attorney in your area who knows the system.