Do you get an approval letter for I-130 F2(A) for spouse?

Houston, TX |

I have received a Notice of Action I-797C on June 13, 2013 with the priority date on it, for my petition filed for my spouse under F2(A) category. Does this mean that my petition has been approved and I can apply for counselor processing in August 2013, since it will become current. My spouse is not in US.

1. The I-897 is used for multiple purposes, including acknowledgement of receipt for the filing and the approval. Read it very carefully.

2. Once the I-130 is approved, you will be hearing from the National Visa Center. Eventually, they will forward the application to the US Consulate abroad.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. It must have the specific word "APPROVAL" on it.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

4. All F2A categories are current per the August Visa Bulletin. You should be getting information from the National Visa Center (NVC) on the next steps in the process. If you do not get something soon, I would call the USCIS 800 number and check on your case.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics