Do you find your job as interesting as you thought? (lawyers)

New York, NY |

I personally am planning on doing law school but heard alot of bad stories and alot of good stories. I want to be sure it really is what i think it is because it's a decision that can have alot of repercussions.

I plan on going for criminal defense.

1. It is all what you make of it. I love what I do and enjoy doing it. You should pay special heed to the "law school scam blogs" just so you are completely and fully informed on how the other half live. Employment of qualified lawyers is a perennial problem regardless of pedigree.

As an unbiased view, every family in the world needs a competent lawyer, and even if you don't strike it wealthy at six figures on the first job, you can still help your parents or brother or religious congregation or etc. on something legal-ish.

Best of luck to you 0L if you choose to enter this profession. Welcome to the fold.

There is NO attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am NOT your attorney. Further, everything we both just wrote is publicly available on the internet and would be the same as if we were talking in a crowded restaurant. If you need legal assistance use Avvo to find a local attorney in your jurisdiction that you feel can best represent your interests as a zealous advocate. My experience is in corporate tax, white collar criminal defense, partnership tax, and tax controversy/litigation. If you're being audited by the IRS or state taxing authority, or you are taking an unusually risky tax position on a return, that is the kind of thing you should have experienced counsel on your side and we can set up an initial consultation. If you have a family law, debt collection, violent crime sort of issue then I do not handle that. Do not contact me for an initial consultation on non-tax matters.

2. Let's put it this way, when I was growing up, until I was about 12 years old, I thought my last name was Esquire, as there are so many lawyers in my family. I can't imagine doing anything else, except perhaps running for President in 4 or 8 yrs. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

3. It beats hell out of digging ditches. But seriously, it is a challenging and fulfilling profession and one meets all kinds of people. I have been fortunate enough to work with some talented attorneys.

Things change frequently and so one is required to stay current by doing a fair amount of reading. There are many diverse areas of the law and I advise you to read as much as you can and to actually talk to attorneys so that you can determine how best to apply your own talents and what interests you can pursue.

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

4. As a New York attorney with almost 30 years of general practice experience I love it. But in this economy I would strongly suggest that you work in a law firm or volunteer in a law firm or legal aid before you commit to three years of school and some substantial student loans.

5. Absolutely. Is it exactly the way I envisioned it when I started out, no. But it is NEVER boring. I understand there may be some areas of the law that might be, but as an English major and a student of human nature, I can say unequivocally that family law is both endlessly interesting and allows for some real cutting edge work. I also agree with what the others say.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

6. Whatever you do don't go to law school! There are no jobs out there and you will spend $200k for law school over your undergraduate work. Then if you are LUCKY you'll find a job starting at 35k. The only way you can make money as a lawyer is in private practice for yourself; however you are totally unqualified to do so after law school because they do not teach you anything - all you need to do to pass the bar is take a 6 week prep course. So you don't know how to ply your craft, you can't get a job, and you have a mountain of debt. Rather, if you want to go to school to be a professional become an engineer or an accountant they are always in demand. Everyone here who stated that it was positive to practice law entered the profession in a different era. Today law school is a sucker's bet.