Do you automatically get put into a domestic partnership after living with your S/O for a certain amount of time in Oregon?

Eugene, OR |

My mother avoided marriage for tax reasons and just had a non-legally binding " Commitment
ceremony" with her S/O. I have heard that in Oregon you automatically get put into a domestic partnership after living together for a certain amount of time. She is about to inherit a very large estate and I need to know what I can do to protect her if that is the case.

You did not say who she is inheriting from. 1. There is no certain amount of time regarding a non-registered "domestic partnership." 2. Whether married or single, if the inheritance is JUST for your mother AND she keeps it separate from her partner's assets, she should not have to share it with him. It wouldn't hurt if she meets with an attorney to discuss all the details before she gets the inheritance.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.