Do you automatically get put into a domestic partnership after living with your S/O for a certain amount of time in Oregon?

Asked over 1 year ago - Eugene, OR

My mother avoided marriage for tax reasons and just had a non-legally binding " Commitment
ceremony" with her S/O. I have heard that in Oregon you automatically get put into a domestic partnership after living together for a certain amount of time. She is about to inherit a very large estate and I need to know what I can do to protect her if that is the case.

1. Diane L Gruber

Pro

1

Answered . You did not say who she is inheriting from. 1. There is no certain amount of time regarding a non-registered "domestic partnership." 2. Whether married or single, if the inheritance is JUST for your mother AND she keeps it separate from her partner's assets, she should not have to share it with him. It wouldn't hurt if she meets with an attorney to discuss all the details before she gets the inheritance.