Do wills need to be reviewed and updated every two years

Asked about 2 years ago - Huntingdon, PA

Will has already been finalized and signed April 1, 2011. Does it need to be reviewed and initialed and dated every two years to stay in effect.

1. Tyler Benjamin Christ

5

Answered . No. Although it is a good idea to periodically review your estate plan and adjust it for changes in your family and finances. Once signed, a will remains in effect until it is revoked.

2. Stephen Thomas Coccorese

5

Answered . As previously stated, nothing needs to be done to an existing will to renew its effectiveness. In fact, just the opposite is true—the will remains effective until something is done to revoke the will (generally, making a new will). You should review your will with your attorney every few years, or following any major changes in your life (birth/death of a new family member, sale/purchase of a home, etc.). The will remains valid if you don't periodically review it, but an outdated will may have unintended consequences or not work as you had originally planned.

3. Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

6

Answered . Use your best judgment. If there has been changes in your estate or in your wishes, then I'd suggest having an updated will is something you should consider.

Good luck!

4. Paul A. Smolinski

Pro

4

Answered . A Will remains valid once signed as long as it was properly witnessed. After that it is not wise to make changes, marks or to write on a Will as it may invalidate it.

It is wise to think about your assets and family situation every couple of years as changes might be in order.

Because of the significant changes in the economy during the past 5 years I am now suggesting that my clients visit me every two or three years. However I have prepared Health Care And Property Powers of Attorney and Living Trusts for many of my clients. The more involved the documents - the more often a review should be conducted.

Best wishes.