Do we still have to pay child support in Missouri? Daughter turned 18 in Dec and graduated high school at end of Dec 2012.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Saint Louis, MO

She did not enroll in college - barely passed high school. Is 18 yrs old. No drivers license (can't pass test!), No job - doing nothing. Do we still have to pay? If so, to Mom or to child? Court hearing coming in a few weeks because Mom still wants $. She can vote, drive (if test passed), and hold a job...but hasn't put forth any effort. Do we have to monetarily support this? Mom did not notify us that "child" didn't enroll in college...she graduated early so there seems to be a grey area regarding MO Oct 1st deadline for college enrollment? Stopped child support EFT's into Mom's account upon filling out form for termination of support, but they are going into a savings account with daughters name until a judge hears case.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Joan Amendola Coulter


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may have to wait until the judge hears your case. If your child is not enrolled in any school of higher education (college, trade school or the like) it sounds as if your child support should terminate. That being said, my answer is only based on the few facts outlined in your question. There may be other issues that would make your child still eligible for child support. You would need to consult an attorney about these intervening factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,739 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,739 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering