Do we need to hire a personal Injury lawyer or should we settle?

Ceres, CA |

My dad was involved in a car accident July 23. He was rear ended while still driving. 100% not at fault. He went to the ER the moment and felt better for 2 days. Now he is having worst pain and doesn't know what to do. His insurance only wants to give him 10k for his car which he bought for 19k in 2010. 10k isn't even enough to buy him another car and pay for medical bills. The other insurance hasn't offered anything this is just what my dads insurance is trying to offer to clear it out. We just don't know how to get the most we can to pay off all the damage physically and emotionally.

1. Do NOT settle or sign anything until you guys speak with a personal injury attorney.

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

2. You should consult with a lawyer. Almost all injury lawyers will offer a free consultation. Good luck.

3. I agree with my colleagues. Do not sign any documents or speak to any insurance representatives. Consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. Most attorneys offer free consultations. Best of luck!

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

4. Your dad needs to go back for medical care if he is still having problems from injuries in this crash. get an atty. if the cost to repair exceeds fair market value, the car is totaled. then they pay the fmv. if you are dealing with your dad's ins, try to get the other persons ins co to look at vehicle. if they think its totaled, they may offer more. Do some homework and find out what the car was worth. if you have documentation that the car is worth more than ins co says, present that to them. Just because he paid 19k in '10 doesnt mean it is worth more than 10k now. If your dad overpaid, or has put a lot of miles on it, has other damage etc, all affects fmv.

5. This is why you retain a personal injury lawyer....to get maximum compensation

6. Stop everything and consult with a local personal injury attorney.

7. You should not settle a claim if your damagea are still not determined. What if a surgery comes next? You usually have a two years Statute of Limitations on personal injury law suits, but talk to an attorney.

8. It cannot be said too often... insurance companies exist to make money and they make money by paying out less on claims than they collect in premiums... a very easy to understand business model.

Personal injury lawyers seek cases where their client was rear-ended - as that takes a lot of guess work out of who caused the accident... and also seek cases where someone is physically injured and gets medical treatment as that takes some of the guess work out of whether there were true injuries or not... The smallest policy limit in California is $15,000 which is really not a lot at all if someone is hurt... so, a general rule... a very general rule... accidents with provable bodily injury and ongoing medical treatment are worth at the very very least... 15 grand... the experienced personal injury attorney will know how to find out the policy limits, whether there are other sources of recovery, and how to get the fair amount for his or her client.

Fortunately, most of us personal injury types offer free consultations and take such cases on contingency no matter where the case is in California, so there is nothing to fear in calling us.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    4160 Temescal Canyon Road, Suite 306
    Corona, CA 92833
    (951)520-9684
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
    ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law and does so anywhere in the State of California.

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com... "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

9. I live and work in California and deal with accidents like yours all the time, so I am happy to answer your question. The answer to your question is that the best thing to do is to hire an attorney and have the attorney deal with your your request for payment of pain and suffering and payment of medical bills. Do you feel that your dad is the same medical condition that you were before the accident? As a basic premise I wouldn't handle your claim by yourself. The attorney you hire can likely refer you to a doctor, if you ask for one, who will see you with no upfront payment! I've done this many times to help my clients out. You should not wait a single day to hire a lawyer, we will advise you on the strategy of your case and get you a rental if you need one.

You have some great facts, but your case definitely needs to be developed further to corroborate your story. You should hire an attorney so you're not bullied around! There is no upfront cost to hire an attorney. With a case like yours it seems like you have some good facts in order to get a high settlement. The most important thing when building your case are: liability (were you at fault); how bad are your injuries to your body. A lot of these things sound like they are not complete yet in your case so its something that is worth hiring an attorney for in order to get a sense of whether you have a case and what the strategy would be for you to build a strong case! I've handled many of these cases in the Ceres area.

Direct Line to Attorney: 877-427-2752 or Email: Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com; Website: www.KingofPi.com I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference