Skip to main content

Do we need a lawyer for a 20 year (21 in 2 months) who got a dui. Blew .09?

Aurora, CO |

dui took place in greeley, co

Attorney Answers 7

  1. It can't hurt to at least talk to someone. Many folks offer free consultations. Try Kent Leier at the Leier Law Firm. He used to be a Deputy District Attorney in Greeley. He should give you a straight answer about what to expect. I know Greeley has a reputation for being really tough on dui cases.


  2. One word: YES!
    there are a lot of defenses that he may have and you need an experience DUI lawyer to pursue them, dont' just plead guilty, FIGHT

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

  3. Yes, you do need to get a. Attorney here. A DUI conviction will cost him 12 points and a one year suspension if his license, approximately $450 in various court costs, more in DUI classes and volunteer work supervision and a whopping increase in his car insurance when he can drive again. You at least need to talk to an attorney schooled in this field to see what if any defenses apply and how to minimize the damage as much as possible. I do not know Mr. Meier, but he seems to qualify, as an ex- DA, as being well schooled in this field. He may also have a sympathetic ear of the prosecutor. Do not try to do this yourself.

  4. It depends on what penalties your son/daughter are willing to accept. They are facing a mandatory one year revocation of their driving privileges if convicted and would not be eligible for any type of DL during that one year period. They are also facing a criminal conviction that can not be expunged or sealed so it would remain on their record forever.

    Some judges like to give people under the age of 21 a short jail sentence to drive home the severity of this offense and their actions. If convicted, your son/daughter would be required to take drug/alcohol classes, complete community service, attend a MADD Victim Impact Panel, pay fines/court costs, be sentenced to 12-24 months of supervised probation where they would be subject to monitored sobriety and other terms and conditions of probation such as not being able to leave the state without permission, etc.

    So a lot depends on what your goals and objectives are. If you want any chance of keeping this charge off of their record or you want to ensure they get the absolutely best possible outcome given the facts and circumstances surrounding the case, then yes you should hire an attorney. If your son/daughter is ok with all the penalties and consequences outlined above and they don't care about having a criminal record, then the answer is probably no.

    At minimum, you should consult with a few attorneys to ensure that you understand the short-term and long-term collateral consequences and thus can make an educated and informed decision at that point.

    The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.

  5. I am bias but any time you deal with case where your liberty (jail) is at stake, you need to consult with an attorney. There are several well qualified DUI attorneys from Colorado with national reputations. (One of those provided you an answer here-Rhidian Orr) Just because an attorney may handle criminal work doesn't mean he is versed in the latest in DUI defense. DUI is a very technical area and there are many ways to attack cases that may seem pretty straight forward.

    Answers to AVVO questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is not a substitute for legal advice and should not be relied upon without a full consultation with an attorney that can fully look at issues involved.

  6. My colleagues are correct.

    People who would never consider fixing there automobile or plumbing without the assistance of an expert don't apply the same logic to their legal needs, and the needs of their loved ones. An expert is your best bet, especially where an entire future may be affected.

    Best of luck.

  7. The Colorado laws concerning DUI/DWAI are strict for minors such as your son. An experienced DUI attorney will be able to analyze the police incident report to determine if there are any defenses to the underlying charges. Most attorneys who practice in this area offer a free initial consultation. You and your son should meet with several experienced attorneys and select the attorney that you are most comfortable with. Weld County does have a reputation for making "standard" offers at the plea bargain stage that typically do not feel like a "bargain" at all. If there is a legitimate defense, your son should have an attorney who will find it. If there is not a defense, your son's attorney should ensure that he obtains the best possible result and is being treated fairly.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics