Skip to main content

Do we need a lawyer. My daughter was cited, 40-6-270. She crashed her car and left it. No other car involved or property damage

Savannah, GA |

My daughter rolled her car on a grass embankment. No one in her car was hurt and there was no other car involved nor damage to any other propert. Her freinds dad picked them up. next day police came to my house, they found the car smashed up. Spoke to my daughter and cited her with 40-6-270 and 40-6-48. Its her first offense.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Yes. Retain an attorney for her immediately who is familiar with the traffic cases in Chatham County Recorders Court and state traffic court. She is charged with leaving the scene of the accident and failure to maintain lane. Leaving the scene is the most serious of these. This is a misdemeanor offense but if found guilty the total fines can be from $300 to $1000 and her potential exposure a year of incarceration. She needs an attorney.

Blaine Alexander Norris

Blaine Alexander Norris


In these kind of matters, more than other cases (such as civil cases) I really think a local attorney in the specific neck of the woods you are in is critical. So hire local. Also, don't talk to police or prosecutor without an attorney now. I suspect the prosecutor seeing this case suspects DUI, and sometimes because of what they suspect, (that is, she likely left because she was DUI), your daughter might find herself getting treated more harshly than she or you think she deserves, not because of what they charged her with, but because of their unspoken hunches or mere suspicion of what she did or might have been doing. I am not suggesting that she was DUI, etc., I am just saying there is always the "case" as it is charged, and the "I bet I know what really happened" type response. You do not know what the prosecutor will be like. So find a local lawyer who knows the folks in that neck of the woods who will have the relationship to keep you and your daughter from making what should be a small criminal matter even worse. Hope this helps. Good luck.


I agree with Mr. Jarrett - retain an attorney. In addition to the penalties he cited, Leaving the Scene also carries license suspension consequences. Good luck

For more information, contact us at or (770) 984-5380. The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.


She faces up to two years in jail and $2000 in fines, plus a license suspension (although the actual jail and fines would usually be less). She definitely needs a lawyer

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Yes. Your daughter was charged under the HIt and Run Statute. If she were to plead guilty to these charges, she would face a mandatory license suspension and these charges would go on her criminal history. Please feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss this case further.




Yes, especially if she is under 21.


Yes, I recommend you contact a local attorney. If the circumstances are as you have presented them, your daughter may have a strong defense to the charge. A conviction could have significant implications for her record and insurance rates. It is likely that a local attorney would be able to quote you a flat fee on this type of case.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer