Do we need a lawyer. My daughter was cited, 40-6-270. She crashed her car and left it. No other car involved or property damage

Asked about 1 year ago - Savannah, GA

My daughter rolled her car on a grass embankment. No one in her car was hurt and there was no other car involved nor damage to any other propert. Her freinds dad picked them up. next day police came to my house, they found the car smashed up. Spoke to my daughter and cited her with 40-6-270 and 40-6-48. Its her first offense.

1. Benjamin Whitaker Price

8

1

Answered . Yes. Retain an attorney for her immediately who is familiar with the traffic cases in Chatham County Recorders Court and state traffic court. She is charged with leaving the scene of the accident and failure to maintain lane. Leaving the scene is the most serious of these. This is a misdemeanor offense but if found guilty the total fines can be from $300 to $1000 and her potential exposure a year of incarceration. She needs an attorney.

2. Justin Spizman

Pro

4

Answered . Yes. Your daughter was charged under the HIt and Run Statute. If she were to plead guilty to these charges, she would face a mandatory license suspension and these charges would go on her criminal history. Please feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss this case further.

3. Fareesh S. Sarangi

Pro

3

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Jarrett - retain an attorney. In addition to the penalties he cited, Leaving the Scene also carries license suspension consequences. Good luck

4. Benjamin David Goldberg

Pro

3

Answered . Absolutely.

5. Noah Howard Pines

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, especially if she is under 21.

6. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

2

Answered . She faces up to two years in jail and $2000 in fines, plus a license suspension (although the actual jail and fines would usually be less). She definitely needs a lawyer

7. Jonathan Victor Dunn

1

Answered . Yes, I recommend you contact a local attorney. If the circumstances are as you have presented them, your daughter may have a strong defense to the charge. A conviction could have significant implications for her record and insurance rates. It is likely that a local attorney would be able to quote you a flat fee on this type of case.