Do we have valid lawsuit against the Landlord and contractors for grand larceny and gross negligence? What are steps to file?

Asked over 1 year ago - Long Island City, NY

I moved into a Queens apt that was not completely ready (the balcony still need addtl work). LL let the contractors and unsure whoelse into our apt without a 24 hour notice, which is required by the lease unless there is an emergency. The day when work was done on my balcony, I had to go home during lunch to quickly pick up a phone charger. Upon entering my apt, the door to my apt was opened and found unfamiliar people in my apt. I saw contractors working on balcony. I didn't see super anywhere in my apt. Later that evening, when we returned to our apt my husband and I noticed that the IPad and his Rolex are gone. We filed police report that evening. LL would not take responsibility for the stolen prop even though it was caused due to their negligence. Seems LL breached lease

Lease language
PROPERTY LOSS, DAMAGES OR INCONVENIENCE Unless caused by the negligence or misconduct of Owner or Owner's agents or employees, Owner or Owner's agents and employees are not responsible to You for any of the following: (1) any loss of or damage to You or Your property in the Apartment or the Building due to any accidental or intentional cause, even a theft or another crime committed in the Apartment or elsewhere in the Building; (2) any loss of or damage to Your property delivered to any employee of the Building (i.e., doorman, superintendent, etc.); or (3) any damage or inconvenience caused to You by actions, negligence or violations of a Lease by any other tenant or person in the Building except to the extent required by law.

1. Steven Warren Smollens

2

Answered . Dear LIC Tenant:

The police report will help you press a claim on the landlord's insurance and your own homeowner insurance. If your insurance pays for the loss, then likely a claim will be pressed against the landlord and the contractors.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . Are the police investigating. You can sue but it's a hard case, especially against the landlord. Even if the super had been there he could not watch everyone.

3. David Harlow Relkin

Answered . The answer is did you authorize the LL to open the apartment for your contractors? If not, he might still not be found negligent if they had a work order, and other documentation. It's a close one, but without any authorization by you to the LL, he should be found liable. Also, the contractors should be responsible since, by allowing the door to remain open, and a burglar entering, or one of them having taken the property, they would be liable.