Do we have legal claim through Adverse Possession???

Asked over 1 year ago - Erie, PA

My husband has been maintaining o18 inches of our neighbors property for a little over 30 years now. We have had no problems with them until recently. He boyfriend moved in, had an assessment done and came over this morning and told us to move everything. I understand he is NOT the homeowner and not on the deed to her home. But my husband and I want to know if we have any legal claim to this property??? We are filing harassment charges on this man,we have also taken pictures of the property we have been maintaining. In desperate need of advice.

1. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

2

1

Answered . As attorney Kenney noted, you might very well have an adverse possession claim. A prior owner is barred from commencing an action for the possession of real property after 21 years. 42 Pa. C.S. ยง 5530. Essentially, you must demonstrate actual, exclusive, visible, notorious, distinct, and hostile possession of the land continuously for 21 years. You should consult with an attorney to learn how to perfect your rights

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
    A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

Philadelphia Area Office
    223 North Monroe Street
    Media, Pennsylvania 19063
    877-992-6311
    www.crawfordlaw.org

E-Mail: lawsuit@subrolaw.us

2. Thomas Kenny

Pro

1

1

Answered . Yes you do have a claim for adverse possession. Speak to a real estate attorney

3. James S. Tupitza

1

1

Answered . You can go on this site and look at my guide on adverse possession http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/adverse-po...

Let me tell you what I would do if I represented the neighbor. It might help you recognize that everything you say will be used against you.........

I would cross examine you on the words you wrote in your question. I would ask you to read aloud the following; "My husband has been maintaining 18 inches of our neighbors property for a little over ...." I would then ask how you know its your neighbors property. After 10 or 15 more questions your case would be over.... destroyed out of your own mouth.