Do we have a medical malpractice or negligence claim?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Monroe, NY

My sister in NJ , 49 , on pain patches for Chronic pain , died in 2 / 19 / 13 . She was seen by her pain Dr . on 2 / 8 / 13 was fine . 2 / 11 / 13 went to family Dr . , diagnosed with Bronchitis , given z - pack and cough syrup with codeine . Both medicines are moderate contraindicated with opioid pain patch . Z - pack has side effect of liver damage . day 3 cough went away . 2 / 18 has shortness of breath and feet swollen . Liver removes opioid patch medicine from the body . Died 2 / 19 / 13 at am . Hospital treated her as sepsis , gave her strong antibiotics that damage liver and kidneys . Blood test before treatment revealed super high liver enzymes 1600 above normal and slightly elevated white blood cell . X - Ray doesn't confirm pneumonia . Hospital claimed pneumonia for 7 days . no history of liver issues .

1. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

5

Best Answer

Answered . You need to obtain a copy of all medical records and sit down with a medmal attorney. These cases can be very difficult and will require up front investment to consult with a doctor to review the records. My heart goes out to you and your family.

2. David B Pittman

Pro

4

1

Answered . I would definitely get an opinion from an experienced medical malpractice lawyer for this. Good luck!! Bring all of her medical records to the lawyer and let them see if you have a viable cause of action.

3. Patrick X Amoresano

Pro

4

1

Answered . New Jersey Medical Malpractice - Mixed Medications - Liver Damage - Wrongful Death by Patrick Amoresano. You've described a disturbing scenario that certainly warrants thorough investigation by an experienced New Jersey Medical Malpractice attorney who is Certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Civil Trial Attorney. One of the many things the attorney will want to learn a lot more about is your sister's medical history.

Pro

4

1

Answered . The medical records would need to be ordered by a med mal lawyer who can send them to an expert to review to ascertain whether there was a breach of the standard of care.

5. Marco Caviglia

2

1

Answered . One issue will be if your sister had a compromised liver. Too often, medications are given which are contraindicated in conjuction with other medications with disasterous effects. Your case is actually quite complicated, and med mal cases are involved just to even determine if there is sufficient evidence to determine a physician's culpability. Proceed to consult with one or more medical malpractice attorneys to review the case preferably with those medicals that are available.

6. Joseph Gerard Dell

Pro

2

Answered . You need the complete hospital chart as well as her primary doctors entire chart. If she was chronically being treated with pain medication then her doctor should have been running routine blood work to evaluate her liver enzymes as well as her overall profile. You need her pain management doctors records for the same reason. It is important to see of they each maintained accurate records of her history an the mediations she was taking.

One or more answers have been taken down.