Do we have a legal malpractice case against our patent attorney if he failed to timely file our patent application?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

My company hired a patent attorney to file a patent application for a new online business system. They system had already been launched publicly (by a few months) when we hired the patent attorney (a fact he was aware of). The process of drafting the application took longer than we thought. The attorney ended up sitting on the completed patent application for no reason and filing it a year and 2 days after we had publicly launched the service. We did not know there was a requirement that the patent application had to be filed within one year of the invention being publicly disclosed (we were never told by the patent attorney). The examiner rejected our application in large part due to this problem. What kind of case do we have against our former patent attorney?

1. Pamela Koslyn

10

Best Answer

Answered . Any legal malpractice case requires a "trial within a trial," meaning the underlying case has to proved to be a winner if you want to be able to hold the attorney that screwed it up liable for screwing it up.

So what's crucial here is that the missed deadline was only "in large part" the reason for rejection by the USPTO. The state of the law on business patents is in flux due to the Bilski caase and its progeny, so this is not a easy question with an easy answer. Don't wait to see a malpractice lawyer, because the statute for legal malpractice in CA is 1 year from the date of injury.

2. Xavier S Pillai

Pro

5

Answered . This is a serious action you are contemplating. You should consult a patent attorney in person with all the details in front of him or her.

3. Mark David Fox

3

Answered . As a patent attorney I am not going to make a direct comment on this one, but you may want to google the well-known Kairos Scientific vs. Fish & Richardson malpractice case for your own information.
    Good Luck

4. Matthew A. Dolman

Pro

3

Answered . I strongly advise you to consult with a patent attorney to discuss a potential case as you did not give me enough facts.

-matt
    www.dolmanlaw.com

This advice should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.
  5. Deepak Malhotra

3

Answered . It is worth looking into. Be aware that the law firm's insurance company will try to defend on the basis that there is other prior art out there that is relevant, and on the basis that damages are low. They will look beyond the examiner's rejection to other possible grounds of rejection or invalidity. They may conduct an international search. Hire an attorney right away to investigate. While they are investigating, you could do some of your own searching to verify novelty.