Do we have a case? mother 77, had abdominal mesh, extremely infected, ongoing stress, ongoing health issues after surgery.

Asked 6 months ago - Savannah, GA

My Mother 77, Had a Mesh implant Removed a 3 1/2 hour surgery, bowel resection, continued complications and wound refuses to heal, several visits to doctor, ER, Re-admitted. Wound reopened on its own 2x's , very infected and we are stressed out, bills are overwhelming from the 3 1/2 hour surgery to repair and still tons problems. she's lost a ton of weight, she never feels good anymore and its taking its toll on her and myself as well. There are abundant doctor visits, medications, Tons of antibiotics and still she is having problems. She declined cognitively before hand w/ hallucinations. Hospitalized and they took out the mesh *(??) she has as of yet to experience recovery from this horrible ordeal. Im sure we have a case but wanted to know how long it would take and who to use?

1. Jonathan P. Sexton

Pro

3

Answered . The short answer is maybe. There are large numbers of mesh cases being filed against the product manufacturer. You should find out who manufactured your Mother's mesh and contact a product liability attorney immediately.

2. Christopher Lane Rouse

3

Answered . You clearly need to consult with a personal injury lawyer who has experience handling medical malpractice claims. It will take a while to gather all of the relevant medical records needed to evaluate the case, and determine if the likely recovery is worth the fairly large expense of a medical malpractice suit.

I have experience with these claims. Other good lawyers in the Savannah area who would competently and aggressively pursue a possible case include Brent Savage, Jeff Harris, and Mark Tate. I would unreservedly recommend any of them.

3. Fareesh S. Sarangi

Pro

1

Answered . First of all - I'm sorry for your mother and your family has been through. There is a lot of litigation ongoing now involving mesh manufacturers, and we've seen significant problems with many forms of mesh and their manufacturers. One of the easiest ways to get a sense of whether you are going to have a case is to ID the mesh manufacturer. Depending on the hospital where the implant surgery took place, you have to specifically request this information, as it is typically not included in the medical records. You have to specifically request the implant log, implant record, or product identification stickers. Once we have the mesh manufacturer we can compare that against the database of litigation involving various mesh manufacturers and see how to proceed. Ultimately, whether you have a Savannah attorney or not is probably not the most important question, as all the mesh litigation is taking place outside Georgia in places like Massachusetts, West Virginia, etc. Good luck and I hope your mother recovers well.

Pro

2

Answered . Perhaps. A local malpractice lawyer would need to order her records to investigate.

5. David Ian Schoen

Pro

1

Answered . You may have a viable medical malpractice and/or medical product liability case.