Do US Attorneys try cases or are cases only tried by Assistant US Attorneys? What does US Attorney do?

Runs a large office of prosecutors. Sets the overall policy for the office/judicial district. Is a politician of sorts (or most often comes from a political background aligned with the the party in power) and deals with other politicians and the higher ups in Washington at the Justice Department. Speaks to newspapers at press conferences. Just like any C-level executive leaves the actual work to the "grunts".

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Rudy Giuliani, before he was mayor of NYC, was the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York. In that capacity he substantially dismantled the New York mob. He devised the strategy for doing so and governed the implementation of that strategy. Rudy was a republican in a democratic town. His tenure as US Attorney was his gateway to City Hall.

I am a co-author of WEITZ ON AUTOMOBILE LITIGATION: THE NO FAULT HANDBOOK. The opinions expressed in this answer are not legal advice. These opinions are based on New York practice. We have no attorney-client relationship. conducting a conversation with me through the avvo comments section does not create an attorney-client relationship. I may be contacted at 212-553-9300.

A U.S. Attorney is the chief federal prosecutor for his or her region of the U.S. Department of Justice. There is only one U.S. Attorney for each region; it is like being the manager of a law firm. Assistant US attorneys are the attorneys who work under the U.S. Attorney doing the actual day to day legal work, including trials.

Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or services to on or behalf of any person or any entity. Usage of the Avvo website is not intended to and shall not create any obligation or relationship between the user and the Law Office of Herb Fox, including but not limited to, an attorney-client relationship. Further, the communications on this website between you and the Law Office of Herb Fox may not be privileged or confidential. Finally, your situation may be governed by deadlines that may or may not have already lapsed, and you may lose your rights if you do or did not act within those deadlines.

Jonathan Craig Reed

Jonathan Craig Reed

Great answer, but in addition, the U.S. attorney's office also handles many civil matters for the United States. Nothing would prevent the U.S. Attorney from actually trying a case as lead counsel, although as Mr. Fox points out, the managerial work load of the U.S. Attorney will usually discourage that.

Professional ethics topics