Do u have to tell your probation officer before your getting married?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Missoula, MT

Does ur probation Officer have to know about u getting married before you actually do and if so what are the consequences of not?

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . Not unless the court ordered you to do so as a term and condition of your probation! I guess I have to ask -- why would you not tell him or her? To be sure, check with your criminal defense attorney in Montana!!

Good luck!

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . I am not aware of any restrictions to marriage while being on probation or any standing obligation to inform your PO, yet to truly clarify the issue consult with your counsel of record who has a copy of your probation order.

3. Adam Gregory Masserang

1

Answered . You do if your probation order says so. You should keep in mind that getting married doesn't give you the right to do something that would otherwise be a violation. For example, if the order requires that you get permission to leave the state, then you need permission to leave the state even if it is for your wedding.

I assume that you're checking in with your probation officer on a regular basis. Is there any particular reason why you wouldn't want to tell him?

4. Timothy N. Baldwin

1

Answered . This question has been asked several times--same person? I have commented on those as well. There are two things going on: (1) what the order requires, and (2) whether the order is constitutional. If the order requires you to report to the officer your intent to get married, then you should because the officer needs to know what is going on in your personal life that may affect the probation. The same goes for a post-marriage situation; that is, if you got married, you should report your marriage to the officer.

As to the other issue, if the concern is whether or not you can get married while on probation, then that order is arguably unconstitutional and may need to be challenged on constitutional grounds.

Bottom line: when you make decisions in your life that change your circumstances, you should report to your probation officer. If the concern is whether you can actually get married, that is another matter altogether. www.lernerlawmt.com.