Do trustees negotiate?

Asked about 1 year ago - Trenton, FL

I want to file bankruptcy but I have an issue regarding a transfer since I paid back a relative. My aunt had paid for my parent's funeral so when I got some life insurance money I paid her back plus a bit extra because she had been helping me with other bills. If the trustee decides the 9500 was a transfer and I cannot argue that at least part was an expense tho technically a transfer, and I don't want my relative involved, is there a chance he would negotiate with me to pay directly a somewhat smaller amount or is there likely no possibility of that?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on the trustee. I STRONGLY suggest you hire a bankruptcy attorney to handle your case. It is too complex for you. Timing when you file is VERY important. Good luck.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more
  2. Kevin Christopher Gleason


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you have not filed yet then why not wait out the preference period, which is one year for relatives?

    Posting questions anonymously and receiving general answers do not substitute for consulting with an attorney... more
  3. Christine B. Adams


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your question has many avenues that make it impossible to allow for a yes or no answer. For instance when did this happen? Instead of guessing the answer, you really need an attorney. Most Bankruptcy attorneys will give you free consultation. You can find many attorney's on Avvo in your area.

  4. Ray Choudhry

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have asked this question before and the answer is the same.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,889 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,889 answers this week

3,079 attorneys answering