Do trustees negotiate?

Trenton, FL |

I want to file bankruptcy but I have an issue regarding a transfer since I paid back a relative. My aunt had paid for my parent's funeral so when I got some life insurance money I paid her back plus a bit extra because she had been helping me with other bills. If the trustee decides the 9500 was a transfer and I cannot argue that at least part was an expense tho technically a transfer, and I don't want my relative involved, is there a chance he would negotiate with me to pay directly a somewhat smaller amount or is there likely no possibility of that?

1. You have asked this question before and the answer is the same.

2. Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on the trustee. I STRONGLY suggest you hire a bankruptcy attorney to handle your case. It is too complex for you. Timing when you file is VERY important. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

3. Your question has many avenues that make it impossible to allow for a yes or no answer. For instance when did this happen? Instead of guessing the answer, you really need an attorney. Most Bankruptcy attorneys will give you free consultation. You can find many attorney's on Avvo in your area.

4. If you have not filed yet then why not wait out the preference period, which is one year for relatives?

Posting questions anonymously and receiving general answers do not substitute for consulting with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction in which you live. Answers posted here by Kevin C Gleason are only intended for general education of the public on legal matters. Please consult a qualified professional before deciding what to do about your situation.