Do they run an ETG screen on a baseline probation urine test?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Colorado Springs, CO

Just got a baseline urine test at my probation intake appointment for 1st offense DUI. I had a few beers 2 days prior to the test. I was unaware they would do a urine test on my intake. Do they screen for ETG? Or it is a simple dip stick test? I'm assuming they check for all drugs. I'm clean otherwise.

1. James C Forslund

Answered . It is fairly common.

2. James C Underhill Jr.

Answered . Hi, well you were pretty lucky to get probation for a first offense DUI in Colorado. Many judges will give a first offender at least 30-90 days in jail. DUI is serious, and the driver gets no sympathy from anyone.

So, when you say you had a few beers before you met your probation officer, you have got to be kidding. Seriously, dude, you need to stay away from all alcohol and drugs until you get off probation. Your PO can call you in at any time, with or without notice and require you to take the urine test. You mess up, and you'll probably be getting your room and board in jail.

Also, you need to take a really hard look at life. DUI's aren't ok, ever. So if you have a problem you should be at AAA meetings. Yep, most people say they don't have a problem. But a DUI is evidence of a problem. Moreover, keeping to your AAA meetings will probably be a big plus for your PO.

The best bet is to find a good lawyer who provides advice on this kind of issue on a regular basis and review your specific facts; the lawyer will be able to give you an analysis of the law and your options. By the way, some attorneys sell "unbundled" or "limited" legal services where you pay for just what you need and can afford. For example, some attorneys will prepare letters for you to sign, or sell the paperwork for the court filings; then you can proceed on your own, but knowing that your paperwork is correct and having a road map as to how to proceed. Or who will attend a hearing for a flat fee even if they are not handling the whole case. Neighborhood Law Office is such a firm.

Good Luck, jim
    Jim@NeighborhoodLawOffice.com