Skip to main content

Do they issue DL for conditional gc holder till the expiration of the card or just like a permanent resident for 5 years ?

Waterloo, IA |

I have a conditional green card for a few months now, when I got my work permit I was giving a drivers license for one year only till my EAD expires,now I went to change my drivers license again to get the 5 year one,I was told they issue a DL till the expiration of my green card ! I know it depends on the state,but i thought when I have a green card I can get a dl for 5 years just like everybody else..

Attorney Answers 4


DMVs nationwide will, for the most part, only issue you a DL for the duration of your legal status in the U.S. Not beyond that. As a conditional permanent resident your status expires within 2 years of issuance, unless and until extended (for one additional year) or made permanent (upon the approval of the
Form I=751 you'll be filing within 3 months prior to the expiration date of your conditional GC.)

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


The answer to your question depends on the law of the state where you are applying. The federal government does not issue driver licenses. However, it is unlikely that you would receive a license that is beyond the term of your legal status.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It depends on the laws/regulations of the state where you are apply for a drivers license.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

19 lawyers agree


In Iowa, you need to have proof of your legal status to obtain or renew your DL. This could also be, at a minimum, an employment authorization card. You can go on the DMV website to find out more.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics