Do they issue DL for conditional gc holder till the expiration of the card or just like a permanent resident for 5 years ?

Asked 6 months ago - Waterloo, IA

I have a conditional green card for a few months now, when I got my work permit I was giving a drivers license for one year only till my EAD expires,now I went to change my drivers license again to get the 5 year one,I was told they issue a DL till the expiration of my green card ! I know it depends on the state,but i thought when I have a green card I can get a dl for 5 years just like everybody else..

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

19

Answered . It depends on the laws/regulations of the state where you are apply for a drivers license.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . DMVs nationwide will, for the most part, only issue you a DL for the duration of your legal status in the U.S. Not beyond that. As a conditional permanent resident your status expires within 2 years of issuance, unless and until extended (for one additional year) or made permanent (upon the approval of the
    Form I=751 you'll be filing within 3 months prior to the expiration date of your conditional GC.)

3. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

1

Answered . In Iowa, you need to have proof of your legal status to obtain or renew your DL. This could also be, at a minimum, an employment authorization card. You can go on the DMV website to find out more.

4. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

1

Answered . The answer to your question depends on the law of the state where you are applying. The federal government does not issue driver licenses. However, it is unlikely that you would receive a license that is beyond the term of your legal status.