Skip to main content

Do these Convictions disqualify me from getting a pistol license from either Florida or Utah ?

Stony Point, NY |

I am currently pursuing a sportsmens license in new york and know that these crimes do not disqualify me from Rockland County which i reside in. I am about to take a class that certifies me to send in applications for Florida and Utah CCW licenses.Ive had run ins with the law and am concerned that these will deny me. i read that sending in applications when i am disqualified to begin with can cause charges to be brought against me. ive turned my life around and am about to graduate with a bachelors degree in criminal justice. my concerns are these, if denied will i never be able to purchase a rifle or shotgun in the future? in florida u dont need a license to buy a pistol if im denied will i never be able to even buy a pistol? 2005-dwai-violation 2006-UPM-violation 2010-DWI-misdermeanor

Attorney Answers 3


DWAI and UPM are violations and not crimes whereas DWI is a crime in in New York and if convicted of it you do have a criminal record. I cannot imagine that there is anything illegal with simply submitting an application so I don't believe that charges could be brought (unless of course you lie on the application. You should post this question in Utah and/or Florida because it is their rules that you are looking for clarification on.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I have seen the Utah and Florida applications. I believe there is a question that specifically asks whether you have ever been disqualified from receiving a license to carry a pistol from any municipality, and another that asks whether or not you have ever had a license to carry revoked. Obviously you have to answer these questions truthfully, otherwise you could face criminal charges (since the applications require you to swear to the truth of its content).

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I'm not sure a NY lawyer is hte best person to ask. I suggest you post this on the Florida and Utah Avvo pages.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics