Do the terms of use and privacy policy enough on our website or do we need to produce a contract with our clients?

Asked 12 months ago - New York, NY

Hello,

We are launching a internet-based service for bars. They will pay for premium monthly or annual suscriptions to be on our website.

We already have terms of use and privacy policy for our users (not bars) and I don't know we need to hire a lawyer to write a separate contract with bars or if we should hire an attorney to modify our current terms of use and privacy policy. Also, how was wondering the cost of this in New York.

Thanks by advance!

1. Brian A Lincer

3

Answered . I think that you would definitely need to have a separate agreement in place or modify the terms to specifically address (and have them specifically acknowledge) the terms. Otherwise, the terms would probably not be binding. I advise my clients to create a separate agreement and have them sign that separate agreement once they want to retain their services. I have done it the other way when it would be overwhelming due to the volume.

2. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . The terms of use and privacy policy normally apply to the third parties visiting your site.
    Normally those featured on you site, by offering services, products, etc. have a contract with the site.
    I would counsel a client of mine to prepare a contract with the bars advertising (?) on the site.

3. Edward Brandon Beckham

3

Answered . Your asking for specific legal advice; for this type of a question you are going to want to discuss the facts and specific details with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. You're only going to get general information in this forum.

4. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

Answered . Are You Planning on Opening a New E-Commerce Website?

There is much you need to know as you begin your new business. I suggest you do not attempt to write your own legal policies. This is not where your training and background lie, and though you are probably as smart as an attorney, you do not have their experience.

Below is a checklist for legal issues I use for new e-commerce clients.

1. Business Model – Is your idea viable as a web based business?

2. Business entity - Are you going to be a C corp, a sub-S, an LLC or a sole proprietorship?

3. Terms of Service - This is your contract with your visitors and is the most important item for any e-commerce site. A little work here brings big dividends in the future.

4. Privacy Policy - Every e-commerce site needs a privacy policy!

5. FTC guidelines - The FTC has been regulating business advertising for almost a century. All of their advertising guidelines apply to e-commerce sites.

6. Domain Name issues? Is your name available. Can you create a Trademark?

7. Trademark - Do you have a brand name free from conflict? Should you start with just common law rights? Should you register the mark, and when?

8. Copyright - If it is on the web, it already belongs to somebody. Did you buy a license for the images you are using?

9. Do you need a DMCA policy?

10. Web Site security issues?

11. Do you need and have an EIN? You can get that for free.

12. Do you need an arbitration clause?

13. Do you have employees? - If so you need written policies regarding their authority and use of the internet.

14. Do you know the difference between a "browser wrap" and a "click wrap" and which do you need?

15. Are you abiding by the Child's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)rules?

When I discuss this list with clients other issues arise. Finally, I always discuss with my clients their need for good accounting services. An accountant's advice as you start up can save you many dollars in tax that you might not save if you wait to speak to an accountant until your first tax return is due.

I hope this list will give you pause to think about those issues for which you might need to seek professional advice.

You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo offer a free phone consultation.