Do the new DUI laws in Georgia affect people convicted prior to January 1, 2013?

Asked about 1 year ago - Marietta, GA

Specifically, the ignition interlock device laws are what I'm asking about. I was convicted of a second DUI (2 in 5 years) on January 13, 2012. I served my full year of a suspended license and had the interlock installed in January 15, 2013. Under the old laws, I would have been required to have the interlock for 6 months. I heard from a not-so-certain source that despite my year-long hard suspension, I would still have to have the interlock for 8 months as the NEW law requires.

I am two weeks away from having the interlock for a solid 6 months and want to know if the DDS is now going to expect me to have it for another two. Am I grandfathered in due to my 2012 conviction date or no? Clarification is greatly appreciated!

1. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

10

1

Answered . No. You will not be required to keep the ignition interlock on your car for 2 more months. The new law that went into effect is an option people can exercise when they get convicted of a 2/5 DUI. The option is to either do what you did, and do the year hard suspension followed by 6 months of ignition interlock device, OR do a 4 month hard suspension followed by 8 months of ignition interlock device. Since you are almost done with your 6 month period there is nothing for you to worry about since you won't be exercising this option.

2. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

8

1

Answered . Much of what we are seeing with the new law on old cases is people who could not get interlock going back before the sentencing judge and requesting it under the new law. What you are asking is whether the old or new law applies to you. If you were sentenced in 2012, the law as it stands then would apply to you, being 6 months, and that should be what is on the sentence signed by the Judge. Call the Department of Motor Vehicle Safety and see when they show you as being eligible. If they say you have to do the 8 months, get a copy of your sentence and see a lawyer.

3. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

3

Answered . It sounds like the advice of my GA colleagues is solid. I suggest calling the GA version of DMV to inquire when you're eligible and go from there. Best of luck.

Jasen Nielsen