Do the hand held radar guns take pictures? A policeman had the radar gun pointed right at me but didn't stop me.

Seattle, WA |

I was coming down a hill on highway 509 near Federal Way - speed limit is 35. I was probably going 42-45. A policeman was at the bottom of the hill with the radar gun pointed right at me. There were cars behind me but after I passed he put the gun down. He did not make any attempt to stop me. Wondered if the radar gun takes pictures and I will get a ticket in the mail or did he decide I was OK so he didn't stop me.

The hand held radar device usually does not take photos.

There are a number of reasons you may not have been stopped, even though you were speeding. Feel lucky.

The reasons include but are not limited to...

1. A good reading was not obtained.
2. A good reading was obtained but the officer was unsure of which car registered it.
3. The officer was looking for speeders at that time of day going more than 10 mph over limit.
4. The officer was momentarily distracted and did not see the speed that registered when your car was clocked.

etc.......

It is unlikely that the radar gun took a picture, but new technology is always evolving. With respect to whether you will get a ticket … it is hard to say what a member of the law enforcement community was thinking at any given moment. You may not have been speeding, he may have forgotten to turn the gun on, or he may have decided to mail you the ticket. If you need to look into this incident, I would suggest you contact the court administrator for that jurisdiction to see if anything in your name appears. Otherwise, I would be patient and watch your speed going down that hill.

Disclaimer: I am a lawyer licensed in the State of Minnesota only, and I am not your lawyer. This communication is not intended as legal advice, and no attorney client relationship results. Please consult your own attorney for legal advice. This is for entertainment purposes only.

Civil rights topics