Do state laws concerning towing time limits apply universally?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lafayette, IN

From what I've read in the Indiana code (article 22 ch 1) private property owners must place notice on vehicle 24 hours before towing [unless there is a safety concern or an impediment of regular business, neither of which applied in this case]. Is there anything I can do to recover the fees to release my vehicle?

[Additional Information]
My car was parked in what I'd know as the visitor area for an apartment complex. The lot area was practically empty. After returning for my car (which was gone within 3 hours of parking) I saw signs over 75 yards away to each side saying that visitor parking was permit only; these are dark and very easy to miss at night. The person I was visiting was out of permits and unable to obtain more since I decided to visit after the office had closed.

1. Jerome L. Ezell

Answered . The statute you cite does apply within Indiana's 92 counties. I suggest you have the tenant you were visiting attempt to arrange a meeting between you two and a management representative of the apt. complex regarding their procedure and the requirements of state law and why they believe ( if they do) they may be exempt from the specific statute's notice requirements. It is unlikely that the apt will agree to pay the towing and storage fee. If no resolution is made I suggest you speak in person to a local atty. and see if after the research and the facts being made clear he or she believes the vehicle was towed not in compliance with applicable law. If they believe so take their suggestion regarding the value of filing a complaint in small claims court against the appropriate defendant(s).