Do respondents in a divorce also pay a filing fee?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

If my wife sues for divorce and I am the respondent, do I have to pay a filing fee also? When I respond to her petition with the FL-120 am I required to pay the clerk a fee?

1. Richard Forrest Gould-Saltman

4

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, unless you qualify for a fee waiver.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

3

Answered . Yes.

3. Christina Marie Sherman

1

1

Answered . In addition to the fee waiver, you will not have to pay the filing fee if you dissolve your marriage by default or default with written agreement. Of course, this is only possible if you (A) agree with everything in the petition and are willing to let her take the default, or (B) are able to enter into a written agreement before she can take your default. Since there is the risk of entering into default without fully understanding the potentially detrimental outcome, I urge you to consult with a family law attorney before doing so.

4. Kevin Lee Qualls

Answered . Yes, unless you qualify for a Fee Waiver.
    If the divorce proceeds via a default and a Marital Settlement Agreement, then you will not need to file a Response and pay the fee.