Do relatives living rent free in my home have any renters rights?

San Antonio, TX |

I own my home and have been allowing a niece and her family to live rent free with me. I am considering moving my personal belongings out and into a retirement community and eventually selling my home. Am I abandoning my home? Do these family members have renters rights or squatters rights? I live in Texas.

Since you own the house, just ask them to leave. If they don't, just get an attorney to evict them.

No, your guests (which is what your niece and her family have been) have no tenant rights.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature and may or may not address the specifics posed in the question.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant