Do public defenders have attorney client privilege

Tunkhannock, PA |

if i have a public defender do i have attorney client privilege

1. I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

That being said, yes, you have the attorney-client privilege with any attorney that represents you, or to whom you speak for the purpose of determining if you will retain them. There are some exceptions: for example, if you tell your attorney you are going to kill someone, they can report it; if you tell your attorney you will lie on the stand, they cannot put you on the stand to lie (although they cannot necessarily disclose your intent to lie). You should discuss the privilege in detail with your attorney.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

2. If you are represented by a public defender then there is an attorney-client relationship, including those aspects controlled by attorney-client privilege.

No information provided in response to these questions can be relied upon in any way without further personally consulting with Attorney Kerrigan and Attorney Kerrigan consulting personally with you regarding your specific legal situation.

3. Public defenders are attorneys. The answer is yes.