Do prosecutors think about how a plea deal would affect your job or certification when they offer you a plea deal?

Bronx, NY |

Do prosecutors think about what you do for a living and how a plea will affect that? Because I am not sure if they know anything about what I do because they are offering something now that no one in my position can take or would want to take. Is it common to see they offer you stuff you can't take at first?

Generally speaking, no they do not. Their job is to think of what kind of punishment to offer you. Your job is of little concern to them. Often your lawyer can negotiate because of your job, but it is unlikely that you can do that on your own. Good luck. Hope that's helpful

No they don't offer what's the easiest for you to take. They offer what they feel is appropriate based on the facts and your criminal history. It is your attorneys job to humanize you to the prosecutor, show them that this mistake is out of character, that you are not likely to repeat this mistake, and that you are a person deserving of a break more so than others. Every attorney has their own methods for doing this. You should know whether the DA knows anything about what you do because you should be discussing this strategy with your attorney. If your attorney hasn't or is unwilling to discuss this with you, consider another attorney. Obviously you have an important career that you are trying to preserve, the fact that you are asking questions on a free site and not of your attorney speaks volumes about your trust in your current attorney.

I am a former Brooklyn Criminal Court Deputy Bureau Chief with over 17 years experience specializing in handling criminal cases. All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. Also, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication.

This is not something a prosecutor will think about. Your lawyer will have to make a compelling argument. If everyone who got arrested could just say that a bad outcome will effect their job there would be little deterent to committing a crime.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been handling criminal defense and personal injury cases for over 17 years. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails, is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

The answer is generally no. Depending on the nature of the allegation they may be a bit more generous with a plea.

The above answer is intended for informational purposes and is not legal advice. It does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship.

No.
As the well explained answers above have stated.
It is the job of your Defense Attorney to advocate for you to try to get a deal that will not effect your job.
You would be wise to start there first, consult a skilled Defense Attorney in the Bronx.
.

Providing general answers are meant to help the poster to understand some complex legal concepts and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship.

Generally speaking yes they do. Depending on your history, ideally you have none, the prosecution will most likely try to avoid giving you a record/screwing up your career. Your attorney should be presenting the best possible image of you to the People, including your career and certification.

No, prosecutors are not your friends and there job is simply to dispose of cases. They couldn't care less about what your needs and desires are. Hire an attorney to effectively represent you...you pay them to care about your needs/wants.

Prosecutors are generally considering the severity of the charge, your criminal record, and their office plea policies. It is your defense attorneys job to persuade the prosecutor to think about things like your job and certifications during plea negotiations.