Do prosecutors give priority to prosecuting recent crimes? For example, let's say John broke Adam's nose three years ago.

Asked about 1 year ago - Charlotte, NC

Do prosecutors give priority to prosecuting recent crimes? For example, let's say John broke Adam's nose three years ago. But Evan punched Mark in the face a week ago. Would the prosecution exercise discretion to prosecute John or Evan if court is over-filled?

1. Christopher James Welch

Pro

6

Answered . I don't know that age is a major determining factor in the order of prosecutions, but to the extent that it matters I think the DAs try to deal with the oldest cases first, not the newest.

2. Stephen F Wallace

3

Answered . No, a crime is a crime. Sometimes it depends on the amount of damage to the victim.

3. Raymond George Wigell

Pro

4

Answered . The Prosecution(Federal and/or state) has discretion to investigate and charge based on multiple factors. These factors include the date of the event as you suggest in your question. Other factors are the nature of the injury, if the victim was disabled or a senior citizen, the context of the event(public vs. private), the relationship of the accused and the alleged victim to list a few.
    The number of cases pending in a particular court system may be a factor but this consideration would not be made known to the public.
    One of the many frustrating aspects of the Criminal Justice System is discretionary and subjective prosecution. Another part of this is the various specific charges and the number of charges(counts) that the prosecution has discretion to initiate by way of Grand Jury investigations, which are not public.
    If this inquiry is hypothetical I hope this brief and cursory response is of help. If it is based on actual events then seek the advice f an experienced criminal defense lawyer ASAP.

4. David Patrick Vaughn

2

Answered . As far as I know, there is no policy in the U.S. Department of Justice for giving priority to crimes that have been committed more recently than other crimes that it is considering bringing. It is fairly commonplace for complex, white collar crimes to take years to investigate. In many white collar cases, the incriminating evidence consists of documents or other records that will not be adversely affected by the passage of time. However, as a practical matter, in cases where the government's evidence is largely dependent on eye witness or similar testimony, the government typically will move more quickly so that the witnesses' memories will be as fresh as possible at the time of trial, thereby attempting to minimize the effect of a defense cross-examination that focuses on the passage of time that has occurred between the events surrounding the crime and the day of the testimony in court.