Do profits from inherited home have to go into paying debts?

Asked 11 months ago - West Warwick, RI

I am the executrix of my mothers will and the receipient of all tangible property and residuary estate.
Do I have to use profit from sale of home to pay debts left by my mother other than the mortgage?

1. John T. Longo

1

Answered . If the house passes through probate (meaning no one else was on the deed when your Mom died), probably. Nothing can leave her estate until all her bills are paid.

You need a probate lawyer to tell you for sure.

2. Donna R Blaustein

Answered . Each state has different rules as to the treatment of homestead real property. These rules are also affected by the wording in the will. For example, if the will says "sell the home" then the proceeds are available to pay debts. Since you will need to probate your mother's will, the probate attorney you choose should be able to answer these questions.