Do Process Servers serve papers regarding Criminal Offenses?

Lakeland, FL |

I have received a notice on my door from a Process Server, Court Process Division! I have recently been threatened by a former employer about being charged with Grand Theft. I have had no communication from anyone else and I received this notice. My understanding is a State's Attorney will contact you regarding criminal cases...is that so? I have already contacted the Process Server, but it is killing me to find out what it could possibly be for.

If you were served by a process server, it is a civil suit. The papers will have a cause number on them. If you call the clerk of courts, they can tell you the nature of the suit but a copy of the Complaint should have been served.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: ccandiano@themargolisfirm.com http://www.themargolisfirm.com

DO NOT blow off the court summons. Your employer could easily obtain a judgment against you if you don't show to defend yourself.

Contact the court, speak with the clerks office, provide them the case number and they will tell you what its about, or you can go see the filing documents yourself at the courthouse.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I do five my 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.