Do Process Servers serve papers regarding Criminal Offenses?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lakeland, FL

I have received a notice on my door from a Process Server, Court Process Division! I have recently been threatened by a former employer about being charged with Grand Theft. I have had no communication from anyone else and I received this notice. My understanding is a State's Attorney will contact you regarding criminal cases...is that so? I have already contacted the Process Server, but it is killing me to find out what it could possibly be for.

1. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

Answered . If you were served by a process server, it is a civil suit. The papers will have a cause number on them. If you call the clerk of courts, they can tell you the nature of the suit but a copy of the Complaint should have been served.

2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . DO NOT blow off the court summons. Your employer could easily obtain a judgment against you if you don't show to defend yourself.

Contact the court, speak with the clerks office, provide them the case number and they will tell you what its about, or you can go see the filing documents yourself at the courthouse.