Do Process Servers serve papers regarding Criminal Offenses?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lakeland, FL

I have received a notice on my door from a Process Server, Court Process Division! I have recently been threatened by a former employer about being charged with Grand Theft. I have had no communication from anyone else and I received this notice. My understanding is a State's Attorney will contact you regarding criminal that so? I have already contacted the Process Server, but it is killing me to find out what it could possibly be for.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If you were served by a process server, it is a civil suit. The papers will have a cause number on them. If you call the clerk of courts, they can tell you the nature of the suit but a copy of the Complaint should have been served.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr.... more
  2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . DO NOT blow off the court summons. Your employer could easily obtain a judgment against you if you don't show to defend yourself.

    Contact the court, speak with the clerks office, provide them the case number and they will tell you what its about, or you can go see the filing documents yourself at the courthouse.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,444 answers this week

2,737 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,444 answers this week

2,737 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary