Do police officers have the right to randomly stop buses, and inspect individuals for paid fares without probable cause?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, NJ

I'm on a bus traveling to Newark, NJ. An officer stops the bus in the middle of traffic. The driver hadn't addressed anyone on board as rude, or troublesome. Nor had they called for assistance from the bus company or police. We're pulled over, the cop searches everyone, and demands they pay their fares again, in the event they have no ticket. Some people didn't speak English, and appeared to be tourists. I've never seen any type of search like this without some sort of catalyst or just cause. Is this legal; is this a tactic commonly used by police in New Jersey. Or this a potential 4th Amendment violation?

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . Sounds intrusive . What damages did you suffer?