Do petty misdemeanors show up on background checks for retail employment in Minnesota?

Rochester, MN |

Recently I have been offered a promotion, but I have to go through a background check first. My manager knows I have a petty misdemeanor & is okay with it. But I am worried about what corporate decides from a background check. I'm just confused if a petty misdemeanor is not considered a crime here will it be included in a retail background check? I am just very interested to learn what legally employers can see when they do a criminal check. & are they allowed to deny a promotion only bc of my criminal history? I am very well qualified for the job and I know that would be the only thing holding me back. I have taken care of all fines and have had no similar arrests since then.

This depends on who is doing the background check and what they are reporting to your employer. In most cases the Petty Misdemeanor will show up and will be reported to your employer.

If the Petty Misdemeanor is preventing you from advancement, you may want to look into having it expunged.

This information is general in nature. You should not rely on this information as legal advice, as each case is unique. This information does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are in need of legal advice concerning a particular matter, you are encouraged to contact us at your earliest convenience.