Skip to main content

Do people in civil unions/domestic partnerships have the same spousal privilege rights as "Married" people?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

Illinois Civil Union since Dec. 2011.
Being sued civilly for "defamation" because of opinions I expressed on a web site.
Do I have to disclose discussions/emails with partner regarding topic

Attorney Answers 3

  1. No. Civil unions and marriage are not at all the same. Marriage offers more rights to the parties than civil unions. You do not have to disclose to your partner but your assets could be compromised if any are held jointly ie real estate, bank accounts, etc.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

  2. Civil unions and marriages are not exactly the same, but carry many of the same benefits. However, as you are not married, you will not be entitled to the federal benefits married individuals would have. Your question seems to pertain to the privilege not to disclose statements/confessions to a spouse. I am not an expert on the marital privilege, so without stating whether the privilege applies in your situation, if it did, you would have as much of a right to assert the privilege in a civil union as you would in a marriage in Illinois.

  3. You need to work with a lawyer. You're in over your head. If you already have a lawyer and are trying to find answers on-line, you probably need a better lawyer.

    The privilege applies to civil unions. You'll need to properly object to the discovery demand and refer to proper authority. Your lawyer should be able to take care of this for you. If you don't have a lawyer, you need to make some calls.

    Wes Cowell

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics