Do people get off probation early?

Saginaw, MI |

I've had several people tell me that they have gotten off probation early by finishing their community service, drug classes and paying their fines.

I am wondering if this is a common thing for someone charge under 7411 (first time offender) for possession of marijuana.

I payed my fines the day of sentencing and started on my drug courses right away and have completed them. I am also halfway through my probationary period (3 months down, 6 months total) and have had no dirty drug tests and no run-ins with the law. I am also signed up for college and am working part time.

Should I bring this up with my probation officer (I meet with her tomorrow)? I also have my medical marijuana card (got it before sentencing) and my judge knows this but idk if my probation officer does.

I know it is only 3 more months until I am finished but I just want this to be done and over. I am currently looking for full time work and I don't know how to handle or bring probation up during interviews (or if i even should bring it up). I just stress a lot about these kind of things and a heavy load will be lifted when I am finished with probation (whether early or on time).

You can hire a lawyer to file a motion to terminate probation. These are sometimes granted, but it is up to the Judge you have. I'd suggest you contact a local lawyer to see if this is realistic with your Judge. Hope that's helpful

Would I have to hire a lawyer for this or could I do it myself? If I can't, then it is out of the question because I do not have the resources to be spending on more lawyer services right now.

J. Denise Carter

J. Denise Carter

You probably need a lawyer to have a chance of success. It may not be very expensive, so it may be worth calling to see. Hope that's helpful

should I call the same lawyer I hired for this case? I know it may seem silly since its only 3 more months and 6 altogether but I just want this to be done and if there's a chance I might just take it.

J. Denise Carter

J. Denise Carter

I think that's a great idea, they may be cheaper too. And will be able to tell you whether it is realistic. Hope that helps

thanks for your help. any advice on how to handle probation during interviews and work? I don't want to miss opportunities due to this mistake. Or even get a job then have to miss due to probation obligations

This is called early termination of probation. Most states, that I'm aware of, allow for this type of relief where all conditions of probation have been fulfilled, but I do not know if your state does or not. Your probation officer is likely familiar with the process and may be able to answer some questions. This process may require filing a petition and a hearing. That is something you probably don't want to do alone. You should contact a local attorney to do this for you.

This answer is for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

My concern with this is if the judge will just say something like "you only have 3 more months left, ride it out" or "you were only on for 6 months" also, I dont really have a compelling argument for getting off early besides the fact i just wanna be done with all of this.

Eid Edward Qaqish

Eid Edward Qaqish

Your other option is to just wait out the 3 months. So why not at least try? If you get denied, you're no worse off than before. I think competing the terms of probation and looking for work is a fairly compelling argument. Most judges will probably be understanding of your situation. They see this request more often than you think It doesn't hurt to at least ask.

It does happen but it is not automatic. It is up to your probation officer and ultimately the judge. It is been my experience that you can ask once all your fines, costs, and all financial obligations are paid and any classes and community service are completed. As long as you have nothing outstanding or any violations you stand a good chance of getting discharged early. However, it would be unlikely you would get discharged halfway through. I would suggest waiting at least another 2 were 3 months before you petition your probation officer or the judge. If you have a medical marijuana card make sure you have permission from the judge to use it or else it is a violation.

Jared Clayton Austin

Jared Clayton Austin

The worst he can do is say no. Your argument is that you have demonstrated to the court absolute compliance and there is no reason to believe you will not successfully completion. Maybe consult with a lawyer who is familiar with your judge or ask your PO how he will react,

It can't hurt to ask your probation officer. Some judges in Saginaw will follow the recommendation of the probation officer to a T.... others, make that determination of early probation termination on their own. You will need a good reason in addition to full compliance with all other probation terms. Retaining experienced criminal defense counsel may increase your chances in reaching your goal of early termination. Good luck.

THE WOLF LAW FIRM would be available to assist in this matter after a formal consultation to obtain all necessary facts and review all pertinent documents. THE WOLF LAW FIRM practices in all state and federal courts in Michigan. An attorney-client relationship with THE WOLF LAW FIRM or Answering Attorney is not established until and if a written engagement agreement is executed by all parties and an agreed upon retainer is tendered. In the meantime, please consider this response as a general answer for the benefit and entertainment of the public. We wish you the best. Thank you. TheWolfLawFirm.com