Do people actually manage to sue other people on minor issues?

Asked over 1 year ago - Homestead, FL

Reading the questions and responses on this forum of libel and harassment and slander and defamation, alot of the examples seem like daily living and populate most television sit coms. My question is are people actually able to sue other people over small issues- say like a comment made underneath a youtube video- successfully? If the law allows such thin skin for minor issues, what's going to happen when really major issues occur- murder?

1. Andrew Daniel Myers

5

Answered . Murder prosecutions and criminal cases in general are proceed as usual on the state and federal level. The prosecution of crimes bears no relationship to people asking questions about generalized, even if minor to you, concerns on a website. This is a legal informational and marketing website. I tend to agree that some of the queries do not present viable legal claims and can often be resolved in other ways, even if only by getting "thicker skin." But, people have a right to ask.

2. Alan Smith

Pro

3

Answered . My experience on Avvo is that about 90 percent of people who post a question about whether they can sue for defamation, wrongful termination, or civil rights violations have no claim, and that is clear to any lawyer from the question itself. However, anyone can file a lawsuit- it's winning that is the problem.

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

1

Answered . The vast majority of the situations prompting questions here of "can I sue" for libel or slander will not support any legal claim at all, muchless one for defamation.

There is a curious fissure in the logic of human beings and it goes like this: "I should be able to say anything I believe. I have freedom of speech and I am entitled to my opinion in all circumstances. But the law should allow me to convert to cash any offense I feel about anything anyone else said about me. That was my private personal information. If the person who said that offensive thing doesn't have any money, then someone else should have to give me the money for my hurt. "

Even the best defamation claims, against defendants who have the financial resources to pay any judgement that might be obtained, are very difficult to bring to successful conclusion in our legal system. Claims based on neighbors and family members and bf-gf's all doing their very best to make each other suffer are simply worthless as legal cases. Very few attorneys get burned by taking such a case more than once.

But, yes, everyone has a right to ask.

Pro

3

Answered . Better to take something to court, than to take matters into one's own hands.

5. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

2

Answered . This is America and you can sue anyone, anytime for any thing. You just may not win.

Generally, all the law will let you do is recoup what you have lost. The difficulty with defamation cases is proving damages.