Do parents need a search warrant to pull their 16 year old's cell phone records?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Venice, FL

I am 16 and my dad has pulled my phone records when i did not want him to. my friend said that since im 16 he is required to have a warrant and i was just wanting to check into this thanks

1. Jim Mitchell Medley

9

2

Answered . No one other than the government is ever required to get a "warrant."

If the phone is in your father's name, he will have lawful access to the records.

I recommend you obey your father's rules until you are of age to make your own decisions and get your own cell phone.

2. Michael James Orlando

4

Answered . The search warrant requirement applies to law enforcement agencies not parents of minor children who are checking up on their kids. In this case, the phone companies policies and procedures would mostly control what was required to obtain phone records.

3. Joel B Robbins

5

Answered . If the account is in your father's name, he may request a copy of the phone records.

4. Colleen M. Glenn

Pro

1

Answered . The other attorneys are correct. Search warrants are for law enforcement only. Phone records can be subpoenaed but if the phone is in your dad's name he can request the records directly from the phone company.