Skip to main content

Do parents have to pay for a minor child burial expenses, minor has been emancipated, or has consented to receive birthcontrol.

Orlando, FL |
Filed under: Family law

just want to know parents rights when child consents to abortion, sti services, and other medical procedures. is a parent financially obligated for emancipated minors.

Attorney Answers 2


Emancipation is a formal court process whereby the court emancipates the minor and relieves the parent of further responsibility. A minor child who is not emancipated still has the right to seek and consent to an abortion, seek to avoid having the parent notified, and obtain birth control and some other medical procedures without the knowledge or consent of a parent in certain circumstances or after a certain age. If the child is not emancipated but receives those services, the parent is still responsible for the minor.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


No, parents do not have to pay for the expenses of an emancipated minor.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics